Dubya is using the same tricks as Chavez and could get the same results as his fellow dictator if the American audience doesn't get any wake up call. Soon.Time to remember how inspirational the man can be, but how delusive he actually is.
Time to say "It's democracy, stupid".
Some extracts from his inauguration speech (20010120) :
- . "Through much of the last century, America's faith in freedom and democracy was a rock in a raging sea. Now it is a seed upon the wind, taking root in many nations."
=> A seed of torture upon a wind of shock and awe. What kind of freedom and democracy are you talking about?
- . "America, at its best, matches a commitment to principle with a concern for civility. A civil society demands from each of us good will and respect, fair dealing and forgiveness."
=> Some still do expect that from you. Along with apologies.
- . "If we permit our economy to drift and decline, the vulnerable will suffer most".
=> You're gifted with precognition, man.
- . "We will confront weapons of mass destruction, so that a new century is spared new horrors".
=> And we will use weapons of mass disinformation, so that our voters are spared the horrors we provoque and even sometimes commit.
- . "The enemies of liberty and our country should make no mistake: America remains engaged in the world by history and by choice, shaping a balance of power that favors freedom. We will defend our allies and our interests. We will show purpose without arrogance. We will meet aggression and bad faith with resolve and strength. And to all nations, we will speak for the values that gave our nation birth."
=> Make no mistake : now all nations despise your arrogance and your betrayal of your own nation's values.
- . "And I can pledge our nation to a goal : when we see that wounded traveler on the road to Jericho, we will not pass to the other side."
=> Yeah. You just drove the damn tank over him. And made sure the damns walls were fully destroyed.
- . "America, at its best, is a place where personal responsibility is valued and expected."
=> Thus, we'd value and are expecting your non reelection.
- . "Our public interest depends on private character, on civic duty and family bonds and basic fairness, on uncounted, unhonored acts of decency which give direction to our freedom."
=> Family bonds it is. Along with honored acts of indecency. The problem is the public interest depends on your very private character.
- . "After the Declaration of Independance was signed, Virginia statesman John Page wrote to Thomas Jefferson : 'We know the race is not to the swift nor the battle to the strong. Do you not think an angel rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm ?' Much time has passed since Jefferson arrived for his inauguration. The years and changes accumulate. But the themes of this day he would know: our nation's grand story of courage and its simple dream of dignity. We are not this story's author, who fills time and eternity with his purpose. Yet his purpose is achieved in our duty, and our duty is fulfilled in service to one another. Never tiring, never yielding, never finishing, we renew that purpose today, to make our country more just and generous, to affirm the dignity of our lives and every life. This work continues. This story goes on. And an angel still rides in the whirlwind and directs this storm."
=> What a quote ! You knew from the start the race was about swift boats and dignity. You just don't fit in, and the Karl Rove directing the storm is no angel. Learn more about duty and service in your public library (I don't think there will be many other books in your own prez library than your faves : "My Pet Goat", the Reverend Moon's autobiography, "An End To Evil" by Richard Pearle and David Frum... and of course The Stubborn Again Christian Handbook...).
- . "Our nation must rise above a house divided. Americans share hopes and goals and values far more important than any political disagreements"
=> Are the US more divided now than 4 years ago ? Betcha !
- . "I know America wants reconciliation and unity. I know Americans want progress. And we must seize this moment and deliver."
=> Like seizing Iraq and delivering goodies to old pals ?
- . "Together, guided by a spirit of common sense, common courtesy and common goals, we can unite and inspire the American citizens".
=> Courtesy might be your middle name, when you let Karl do the dirty job (I love the "Turd Blossom" you use as a nickname for your first counselor).
- . "Together, we will work to make all our public schools excellent, teaching every student of every background and every accent, so that no child is left behind".
=> Taught 'em how to die in Iraq, didn't you ? Why didn't you include your own major (Dodger 101) in your costly tuition program?
- . "Together we will save Social Security and renew its promise of a secure retirement for generations to come."
=> Social Security and secure retirement for all, no former Halliburton CEO should be left behind.
- . "Together we will strengthen Medicare and offer prescription drug coverage to all of our seniors"
=> Too bad daddy let you use all these non-prescription drugs when you were young...
- . "Together we will give Americans the broad, fair and fiscally responsible tax relief they deserve."
=> ... and a jumbo size deficit while you're at it.
- . "Together we'll have a bipartisan foreign policy true to our values and true to our friends, and we will have a military equal to every challenge and superior to every adversary."
=> By "bipartisan", you meant Lookheed and Martin ? Halli and Burton ? Come on ! Gimme a break. But your military surpasses Saddam's, that's for sure. Even in torture.
- . "This is the essence of compassionate conservatism and it will be a foundation of my administration."
=> Compassionate conservatism indeed. Now you and your compadres can leave. Please.
- . "These priorities are not merely Republican concerns or Democratic concerns; they are American responsibilities."
=> Now I get it. You read by mistake Al's acceptance speech.
SM on a forum